Word up, homies! As I indicated a week or so ago, changes were required to the blog to ensure it was able to remain bug-free and able to satisfy the demands of thousands upon thousands of thirsty Columbo fans. The end result is here.
While nothing is vastly different, hopefully you won’t find the new design elements and colour schemes too jarring. You’ll swiftly get used to them at any rate, and I’m confident you’ll come round to thinking that the site is now NEW AND IMPROVED (just think, all this time you’ve been subjected to old and inferior). I’m particularly pleased that the photo captions are automatically centred below the image now, rather than being left justified – an aspect of the previous site theme that enraged me daily.
Of note to visitors new and old:-
- I’ve added a new Archive navigation page to the top menu that will aid readers in finding the content they want more easily. It may also help you wile away the hours catching blockbuster articles of yesteryear that might have passed you by completely. You may even find it more helpful than the ‘Search’ feature.
- I’ve had to DISABLE article star ratings, as well as the ‘like’ and ‘dislike’ function in the comments section, due to being informed the plug-in could cause the website a fatal error – a terrifying prospect, I’m sure we all agree. It may return in future if I’m confident it won’t damage the site.
- If you find you’ve made an infuriating typo in your latest world-beating comment in the comments section, you now have five minutes from posting to edit it to your satisfaction. Once five minutes has elapsed, though, your bungling will be visible to judgmental peers for all time…
- You’ll find a rotating selection of featured articles in a carousel at the top of the homepage. Underneath this is a highlighted section of articles of a specific type – at time of writing it’s all 10 of the ‘Columbo top 100 scenes’ countdown articles of 2020.
- Many, many of you lovely folk have donated towards the upkeep of this site over the past few years via the Buy Me a Coffee website. This service recently cut ties with PayPal, which I’m aware is a concern for some users who prefer it, so there’s now a PayPal donation button on the homepage.
Between you lot and me, we’ll doubtless uncover some aspects of the new design that don’t work like they used to. If so, just alert me in comments and I’ll do what I can to troubleshoot. Infuriatingly, I’ve literally just noticed that there seems to be no way of accessing articles older than September 2021 via the homepage, which ceases to scroll beyond that point. WHY? There will be a fix, but it eludes me currently. (NB – Problem has now been fixed. HUZZAH!)
That’s all I’ve got for you at present. Thanks for reading, and look out for more red-hot Columbo content coming your way soon (and I don’t mean an exclusive showing of Wade Anders’ porn debut in Holly Does Houston, you rascals!).
We absolutely LOVE Columbo. Started watching accidentally as a TV re-run and were both quickly hooked. Have now bought complete box-set, obviously, but look forward to Sundays, when it’s aired, with ads galore, on British TV. We could re-watch any episode, again & again.
I agree: best thing EVER on tv.
Thanks for the blog from the UK
PS Where is Undercover on your episode list?
Bruce & Christine
Hi Bruce, I’m delighted to hear you’re enjoying the blog! As for Undercover, I haven’t figured out precisely where it will sit in the overall standings of all 69 episodes, but in terms of ‘new’ episodes, it’s 18th out of the 19 I’ve reviewed so far, with only ‘Murder in Malibu’ below it. Safe to say, it’ll be in the bottom handful when all reviews are in the bag.
New to this blog. Love it!!!
Welcome! I hope you find plenty to enjoy!
The new look is fine. But the REAL advantage as far as I’m concerned is that I can post comments, where I couldn’t before even though I was registered.
I like the new look! The colors remind me of Columbo’s wardrobe!
Another style change which I particularly appreciate:
we no longer to have to right justify (and estimate
widths of) the first two lines of our post, in order to
make room for our handle. That always annoyed me.
Oh dear, but now my old posts look odd,
the first two lines justified for nothing!
I also see that the likes and dislikes of
old posts were not saved.
Nice new digs.
Mrs, Peck would love the cleanliness and organization.
Newbie here and not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. But, I’m trying to remember the name of an actress I’m fairly certain played a cop in one of the Columbo episodes. She was fairly tall…short hair at the time…had a “lazy eye”…wisecracking type…either in New York or Boston. TYIA
Hi debmarci, From your description no police woman comes to mind…
Columbo was nearly always filmed and based in the greater Los Angeles area. I don’t think any were in New York or Boston.
Thanks for answering. I thought perhaps it was a special situation which had him traveling to the east coast:) Not sure…hopefully, I’m not thinking of a Rockford Files episode…doubt it:)
If you are right, nothing comes to mind for me. Hopefully someone else here with more detailed knowledge of all the episodes can give you a definitive answer 🙂
This lady certainly isn’t in any Columbo episode.
The police dog trainer in How To Dial a Murder?
Who suggests to Columbo that his wife take up
karate, rather relying on their pet as a guard
Looks new and improved.
I like it. In honor of my favorite murderer, may I ask you all to help yourselves to some of this overly-salted caviar before we pop into the screening room to view the latest promotional film. Remember, nothing can happen in this country, until someone sells something.
Well done! And unlike a new coat – which of course is always difficult to think in – I feel that this change is one that will break in just fine and be as comfortable and reassuring as the old….
A fine job! Well done!
Love the new layout Columbophile.
Congrats! It looks smart and I’m sure any bugs will be easily fixed.
I guess, uh, freedom is purely relative.
May our enemies never be as happy as we are at this moment.
Thank-you Columbophile! Looking good!
I 🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡 it!
Very sleek. 👍
Looks awesome!! Thanks for all your effort🙌🏻
Many thanks! Once I’ve got to grips with a few teething issues I’m sure it’ll be A1.
I’m totally new here…but, I’ve had a picture in my mind for weeks now and am trying to research it. I’m fairly positive it’s from one of the Columbo episodes but I can’t find any picture to verify. I believe it was a rather tall women…somewhat cross-eyed…short hair who played a cop either from NYC or Boston. Anyone???
Speaking of teething issues,
your icon appears to have a
pencil in its mouth.
This New Columbophile will surely be better-received than New Columbo!
Lord, I do hope so or something will have gone horribly wrong…
Oooh, this is fancy!
Nicely done! Goldie would have approved of the color scheme!
Goldie was front and centre of my mind while deciding on the colour scheme!